On Sunday I expect Spain to beat Holland - nothing to do with the psychic octopus but sound football common sense.
- I like an upset but I think Spain - more than Holland - deserve to win if only because they have never even come close before despite their multi-talented players. Yes, Holland have never won it either and they have had Bergmap, Van Basten and Cruyff, but Spain should edge it.
- The third-placed play off is a bit more clear cut and Germany should win it but that would be tough on Diego Forlan whose outstanding form and goals have buried the myth that he was a useless player - especially when he played for Man United. He was a young lad at Old Trafford and if there was a Uruguayan failure in England it had to be Sebastian Veron.
- It's the British Grand Prix weekend and I would love Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button to fight it out over the finish line. But F1 is a true "formula" industry - it's sure as heck not a sport - so it's Mark Webber's turn this weekiend. The Red Bull of Oz to win at Silverstone.
- Tri-Nations rugby starts this weekend and one great thing is that the incessant sound of South Africa - the vuvuzela - is banned. Glory Be! New Zealand take on South Africa in what should be a classic but I expect the All Blacks to squeeze through - just.
- The Scottish Open is the traditional golf curtain raiser to the Open which starts next week and Darren Clarke is hitting form at the right time. He needs to be in the top five to appear at St Andrew's and he should do that. Will he win? Who knows but let's tip him anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Got a burning question? Want to leave a message? We'll get back to you Man In The Stand