Friday, 15 January 2010

Murray is Mr Chivalrous

I don’t know about you but I have mixed feelings about Andy Murray – our new Great Hope in tennis.


While I want him to be even more successful and win a Grand Slam event soon, I fear that his 2009 fleeting world ranking of Number 2 will be the best he’ll do and his tennis career will now be one of the nearly man. I hope I’m wrong.


Maybe it’s just the pessimistic Englishman in me. I’m not at all bothered by his supposed miserable nature – Mr Grumpy. I reckon anyone who has to bear the responsibility of English (British?) tennis fans to win big is entitled to feel that way.


Anyway, I don’t think he is Grumpy. He has a sense of humour and an aggression that is not usually evident in British sportsmen.


He’s also a gentleman as seen recently in apologising for “letting down” 15-year-old Laura Robson in the Hopman Cup final in Perth.


Murray unexpectedly lost to Tommy Robredo after winning the first set then, after Robson impressively won her singles match, partnered the teenager in their deciding doubles defeat.


He had the grace to say he let her down, which is true. He then added she could do really well in the forthcoming Australian Open and her career – which is maybe true as well.


You get the feeling only the big events matter now to Andy Murray, which is inevitable. But at least he had the bottle to acknowledge that every event matters to people just starting out

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a burning question? Want to leave a message? We'll get back to you Man In The Stand